The possibility of handing leftover Sculpey clay during or even after a project is usually high.
One might wonder what to do with such: to keep or to discard? Our human instinct many times will be to salvage what is left. So you ask yourself, can I use this again? Can I bake again? Can I combine it with a new portion? Find out what to do as you read on.
Yes, Sculpey can be baked twice and more. It is a durable material, hence can endure baking multiple times. It works well when the temperature in the oven is monitored especially with low temperatures.
Sculpey, The Polymer Clay Explained
Polymer clay is a substance consisting of polyvinyl chloride which is plastic-based. This type can be “baked”. This implies that it can be hardened in an oven after molding in a process called curing.
It is different from the other type of clay for modeling that requires a much hotter temperature such as the temperature of a furnace.
Sculpey is not “natural” or mineral clay, it is not clay itself. It is made out of polyvinyl chloride which has a moldable texture. During its hardening process, the molded clay does not reduce in size.
What Sculpey Is Good For?
Sculpey is a good molding substance for making figurines, clay pots, and materials that require sculpting.
Sculpey is a much more durable material than many other types of clay. You are rest assured to have a durable finished product. It can go through all types of techniques required for a finished product.
Types of Sculpey
There are different types of Sculpey but four will be addressed here
- Sculpey Original Clay: This is common in terracotta and white. It comes in various sizes, especially between 1 pound and 8 pounds. In texture, it is soft and flexible to work with and feels like ceramic.
- Sculpey Translucent Liquid: It is more like a translucent liquid. It is a type that is often used to join clay together. It can also be used for various techniques
- Super Sculpey: This is the softest of all types of Sculpey yet firm. It is easy to handle and flexible enough to work with. Its finish is semi-translucent.
- Puffy: This type of Sculpey is easy to use for kids’ projects. It is light in terms of weight.
Sculpey and Sculpey Accessories
- Slicer: This is important in cutting your clay. This can be substituted by using a long razor or a sharp knife.
- Clay Extruder: It is used to make shapes, done by extruding through discs. Poorly-conditioned clay will not give a good result here.
- Sculpey Glaze: This is a polymer clay sealant. It gives a finished and attractive look to your work. It works with most types of Sculpey and other polymer clay.
- Clay Tools Set: This contains various handles, discs, and tips for making desired shapes
- Push Mold: It is used to make precise shapes for the clay.
How To Use Sculpey
Sculpey is a lump of heat-sensitive polymer clay, hence the need to monitor the temperature with a thermometer to avoid scorched clay. To avoid this, it is advisable to allow the oven (not microwave) to cool off before baking Sculpey once again. It is always safe to follow the producer’s instructions.
After molding it into the desired shape, you have to consider how to stand it in the over properly especially to control the direction of heat. You could use surfaces such as a bead-baking rack. If it comes out soft, then the temperature is not high enough or it was baked for an adequate time.
It is important to condition your clay before you start to mold as this prepares the clay for work. You could do this by using it through a pasta machine or kneading the clay. This helps to make it warm and soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can All Types Of Sculpey Be Baked?
Most types of Sculpey clay can be baked; they can be used in an oven with low temperatures.
Can I Use Household Materials For Sculpey?
Yes, You can use readily available materials in the household for your clay projects. The important thing is to follow the producer’s instructions. While you are at it, be careful to keep such materials away from your kitchen or food.
What Kind Of Glaze Can Be Used For Sculpey?
Glaze works with most types of Sculpey and other polymer clay. It is best to use glaze from a clay brand, one that is water-based glaze.
Is It Safe To Bake Sculpey Again?
Sculpey can be baked more than once, twice, and more. Yes, it is safe to be rebaked. It is better to rebake when you have not added finishing products like paints or glaze to such.
How Do I Combine Sculpey With Another Brand of Polymer Clay?
In working with two different brands, use the instructions properly; also bake both using the highest temperature and time. This puts into consideration the polymer clay with the higher temperature and enough time for the other to bake properly.
Sculpey is relatively a household material in that it can be used to create designs to decorate the home. It can also be used by professionals.
In handling Sculpey, the rudiment of getting attractive finished products starts from its initial molding process which requires temperature. Sculpey is generally a durable material, so it can be baked more than one time. It can be baked severally.